Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

8.31.2005

The Aftermath

Governor Haley Barbour is comparing the damage to that of Hiroshima. While the only damage I had to my house was a few shingles blown off and my fence blown down in a couple of places, that is nothing compared to the losses of the people on the coast of Mississippi and in New Orleans. I just thank God that the people that I care about the most are still alive. My parents' house in Pascagoula (on Washington Ave., only 1 block from the water) is completely gone. I'm sure everything on their street is completely flattened. A church member that went to see the house (or rather where the house should've been) said that all he found of theirs was a piece of Daddy's motorcycle and one of his shotguns. Who knows what, if anything, else of theirs they will be able to find. Kayaks gone. Pop-up camper gone. Piano, piano music, my brother's drums, unreplaceable family pictures and photo albums all gone along with all the furniture, stuff, and other material things that could be replaced. They are on their way back down there as I sit here and type this. They just had to get back and see things and check on people, and figure out what in the world can be done. Someone (whose house is still there) offered them a bedroom to stay in, but they have no electricity. I hope to be able to get down there next weekend or the next just to help do what I can. I have a ton of clothes that don't fit anymore, so I think I will take as many old clothes of mine that I can. I told my mom that I would take their yellow lab, Molly, back with me to take care of her. They left their 2 cats at my Grandmother's house. My parents did take their digital cameras with them when they evacuated, so as I can get pictures of things, I will post them. Everyone just please keep my family and everyone else who has lost everything in your thoughts and prayers.

3 babbles:

Anonymous said...

If there's any way that those of us who are far away can help, please let us know! I'm so glad that your family is all okay.

BabyMakes4 said...

I'll pack up anything that we have that they can use and send it their way. I know my parents really want to help too. Please just tell us what they need most, now, and we'll do everything we can too!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry. I am praying for your family. Please let me know if I can do anything.