I bring greetings from the warm, sunny (beaches?) of the Mississippi Gulf Coast. It was nice and warm today... and driving down on Beach Boulevard and Washington Avenue today, you really might have thought you were in Hell. At least, it looks like it. I drove down by the old house today, and it is still an ugly sight. It is very sad to drive around down there by the water. I'm so glad that my parents aren't living there in the trailer anymore. It is very depressing to just drive by and look at it for a minute, much less live there and look at it all day every day. They got moved (I guess you'd call it moved... although they really didn't have anything to "move") into this house at Thanksgiving. It is a rental house located closer to Highway 90 that was only flooded with a couple feet of water. Thanks to lots of help from various church groups, it was fixed up for them to "move" into. It is much, much better than the fifth wheel camper trailer that they lived in from September till Thanksgiving. But they are very lucky to be living in a house already. Most people (in this neighborhood and everywhere else) are still living in their FEMA trailers. (About 90% of structures in Pascagoula were either damaged or destroyed.) So anyway, I'm here until the morning when I'll be headed back to Jackson. I just wish I could take them with me and get them out of this Hellhole!
12.27.2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 babbles:
Glad to hear your folks are into a place. Slowly but surely things will get better. And you are right, there is only one way to properly describe the destruction: Hell. Two weeks ago my grandmother was showing me pictures of what remains of my uncle's place in Ocean Springs. Seeing the pictures of random ruins on the news doesn't compare to seeing pictures a place I had spent so many happy days at. I can't imagine having to see that in person.
when the media coverage of the devastation stops, it is hard to remember that everything down there is still destroyed. i can't imagine being there now with the feeling that it will take such a long time for things to return to normal.
Post a Comment